Skip to main content

NUTTY CHOC-CHIP CAPPUCCINO CUP CAKE - cooked in a cup - in 60 seconds!

Nutty Choc-chip Cappuccino Cup Cake!
Cooked in a cup in 60 seconds!
Gluten+Grain+Dairy+Sugar Free + Low Carb to boot!

You gotta make this…it’s a no-grainer! (Too much? Enough with puns?)

OK, I might be SUGAR FREE now… And I might only nibble on pure 90% Lindt chocolate every now and then… And I might have obliterated my sweet tooth cravings… but a girl still has to have cupcakes in her life! Birthday’s for example? Mothers Day? VALENTINES DAY for heavens sake! Am I right? But can I still have them without grains or gluten? Without sugar or too many carbs? And can I dollop cream on it that wont upset my tummy…? I’m not asking too much, am I?

Apparently, I can have it all because there are literally hundreds of these recipes out there for us-grain-free-fools that aren’t prepared to give up ‘The Occasional Cupcake’, or ‘The Morning Muffin’ (which is really just a grown-ups version of 'The Cupcake', only a little more serious) just because we choose not to eat grains anymore.  No, no, no, we make a plan, we re-invent the wheel/cupcake/muffin/bread etc and we do it all in 60 seconds! Ta Daaa!

My inspiration for this little beauty of a treat came from a very smart, young man in charge of THIS BLOG. His blog is very informative if you are just starting out with low carb eating. Lots of knowledge there. Check him out.



And now, onto the recipe: I added coffee because it’s the perfect marriage with chocolate, and it intensifies the chocolatey flavour (as does the vanilla). 

There are also three different flours in here, but don’t let that put you off, it’s a tablespoon or so of each, and I think they balance each other out in texture, flavour and health benefits, beautifully.

The choc chips I've added are cut from a block of my very strong and bitter 90% cocoa slab, broken into little bits, however, my kiddies don’t care for it so I use 70% for them. It’s an acquired taste, you (and your kids) can learn to like the stronger stuff a little at a time. For now, you could add a smidgen of regular choc chips, but beware they are mostly sugar and hardly any cacao goodness.

You can choose your own nut combination. I love nuts so I add a lot. You could use roasted and salted, or plain, according to your tolerance and taste.

And lastly, the cream I have sploshed on top is dairy free Orley Whip which has zero carbs or sugars added, and it’s much easier on our tummies. You could use whipped coconut cream (heavenly, by the way) or regular cream from the cow. Whip it up with vanilla, sweeten with a little stevia, or leave it plain. All depends on how much time you have or your attention span on the day.

This is literally cooked in a minute in your microwave. Perfect for unexpected guests or a quick after school treat. Best of all its super filling and without the sugar rush-crash-craziness.


INGREDIENTS

  • 2 Tbsp Butter or Coconut Oil
  • 1 Tbsp strong Coffee granules dissolved in 2 Tbsp of hot water
  • ¼ tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1 large Egg

  • 2 Tbsp of Almond Meal (or Walnut Meal - delish)
  • 1 Tbsp of Flax Meal (flax seeds ground in coffee grinder) you can omit this and replace with another Tbsp of Almond Meal, however it will add slightly more carbs, and I also prefer the added fibre and healthy oils from the Flax.
  • 1 tsp Coconut Flour
  • Pinch of Salt (I use ground Himalayan)
  • 1 Tbsp good Cocoa powder, unsweetened
  • 1 - 2 Tbsp sugar replacement (I use Xylitol) to taste
  • ½ tsp Baking Powder (make your own Aluminium-Free baking powder HERE)

  • 1 block of 90% Lindt chocolate (or approx 2 Tbsp of regular choc chips)
  • ¼ cup mixed Nuts of your choice, roasted and salted, roughly chopped

  • Whipped cream to serve (I used Orley Whip sweetened with stevia drops)

METHOD

Melt your Butter or Coconut Oil in your mug in the microwave for 20 or so seconds. Swirl it around the cup to help prevent sticking.

Add all the wet ingredients and mix well with a fork.

Add all the dry ingredients and mix well.

Lastly stir in the choc chips and nuts. Microwave on full power for one minute. Check if cooked. Add another ten seconds if necessary. Do not over cook. [If you don’t have a microwave, scoop into two ramekins and bake at 180 degrees C for about 18 - 22 minutes]


Remove from the mug and allow to cool a little before adding your dollop of cream, some sprinkled nuts on top, and a pinch of cocoa powder for pretty presentation… OR, dollop cream straight into your mug and devour without sharing!

Oh, by the way, this actually serves two, so you could cut it in half and share with someone… but I wont tell if you don’t ;o)

Much love and gratitude, and happy nibbling

xox





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yes, I put butter (and EGG) in my coffee... Milk is SO last season!

  Hot Buttery Egg Coffee Gasp! Horror! Now just let it sink in…and stop pulling that face…I know it sounds weird and even ‘eeeuuww’ but trust me, if you like custard, ice-cream, eggnog etc then you can like my Hot Buttery Egg Coffee - it’s the same principal. The egg is 'cooked' in the boiling water. And the fat from the egg and butter (you could add coconut oil as well, or instead of) satiates you for hours. I’ve even gone as far as putting in two eggs when I know I’m only getting to eat again by late afternoon. You can also add cream or milk if you can tolerate it but, really, it doesn’t need it. The egg and butter emulsify so beautifully you have a creamy latte in a matter of seconds. In fact, I wont drink coffee now any other way! It first caught my eye on this super blog here  and then I really sat up and took notice after reading about it here  aswell. It’s actually not that unheard of in the sugar free world (also known as Low Carb) that I've

The Portable Frittata!

It’s like an omlette… It’s like a quiche… It looks like a muffin…but it’s a frittata?   Gluten+Grain+Sugar Free + Low Carb.    I keep getting asked about sugar-free breakfasts for those who work at an office, or who don’t have the time to prepare and eat a cooked breakfast, before rushing to sit in traffic (crazy humans we are?).  So here I am, giving you options (don’t say I don’t do things for you)... you can pimp your morning cuppa java into a HOT BUTTERY EGG COFFEE , or you could whip up a batch of BLUEBERRY BREAKFAST BOMBES ...  and now I bring you the Portable Frittata !  Sounds interesting, doesn’t it? This is not really an original recipe, more of a redo, taking yesterday's most delicious  CARAMELISED OMLETTE and making it lunchbox (and kiddie) friendly.  I urge you to feel free and experiment with ingredients and ratios. This is not baking, this is more like throwing caution (and ingredients) to the wind and letting your inner goddess/rebel

Blueberry Bombe for Breakfast - cooked in a Cup - in 60 seconds!

It’s a Muffin - in a Cup - in 60 seconds!   Gluten+Grain+Dairy+Sugar Free and Low Carb, of course! You gotta make this…it’s a   no-grainer ! Here is another itty bitty cake made for two, in the microwave, in just 60 seconds. I did not cut this one in half and share it, but if I were making this for a tea time snack, I might have shown more restraint and portioned it in two. This recipe is an easy adaptation of my NUTTY CHOC-CHIP CAPPUCINO MUFFIN  except this time I wanted to use up some left over blueberries. So I kept the nuts and added the blueberries and some lemon zest. So refreshing and very moist - just what a girl needs with her morning tea. I mean, how awesome that I get to have cake for breakfast, and call it healthy? [Blueberries make it healthy, don’t they? And almonds? Of course!] Best of all its super filling, and without the sugar rush-crash-craziness. You can choose your own nut combination, I love nuts so I add a lot, mixe