Skip to main content

Perfect Pilau Cauli-Rice (for breakfast, lunch and dinner)

No-Grain Rice for Curries


Made from wonderful Cauliflower!
Grain+Gluten+Sugar+Dairy Free + Low Carb!

If you are following a Grain-Free eating plan like me, yet you miss rice, terribly, well then, I have some good news, you can have your rice, albeit… “myy waaayyyyy” *SING IT LIKE FRANKIE!*

I was in the mood for some curry this weekend. “Whaaa?” I know, it’s crazy. 30 degrees C and sweltering hot by 9am, and Miss Nibbles wants curry? (And no, Mommy, I’m not pregnant) I just love a good Indian Curry (an’ ol), it doesn’t matter what the weather is 'doing'. I lived in Durban, Kwa-Zulu Natal for years, it's in my blood.

So I threw together a scrummy *Butter Chicken for the family, and made it nice and mild because nobody else likes spicy in my house, and they insist they cant eat anything hot - yes I live with a bunch of nancy’s!

Anyhoo, everyone knows, you have to have some sort of starch to mop up the juicy bits, either a naan bread, or a roti, or lots of got-to-be-yellow rice… 

[Cue music]…[drumroll]…[enters stage from the left]… 

...Hence, I present a no-grain rice for curries, made from cauliflower, that is... "My Perfect Pilau Cauli-Rice”



It’s dead easy to make and tastes amazing. Plus you get to sneak more veges in to your little ones’ mouths, which is always a good thing. And dont even get me started on the health benefits of Tumeric! It is listed as being anti-inflammatory, assists in warding off dementia and even preventing cancer - click HERE  to read up on how amazing this spice really is...



And speaking of spice: I love to use whole spices and grind them freshly in my coffee/spice grinder (I keep this grinding baby close to me at all times, plugged in and ready to go. I use it, and my Immersion Blender next to the kettle, every day - true story) If you don’t have a spice grinder you could throw some spice balls on a breadboard and crush them slowly under a heavy frying pan. However, if all of this is a schlep to do, the shop bought, bottled spice variety is fine, just make sure they are not 10 years old, and dusty….

Right, are you ready? 

Here goes... prepare to be amazed!


INGREDIENTS

1 head of Cauliflower, grated coarsely
1 Tbsp Butter or Coconut Oil
1 tsp Garlic, minced 
1 tsp Ginger, minced (or ½ tsp dried ginger powder)
1 tsp or less Cayenne Pepper, to taste (we want gentle warm, not blow-your-socks-off heat)
1 tsp heaped Tumeric powder
1 tsp ground Himalayan Salt
½ tsp Cumin seeds, crushed
1 tsp Coriander seeds, crushed 
½ cup Chicken / Veg stock, or boiling water, or full cream Coconut Milk  
A few drops of Stevia, or suitable sugar replacement (about 1 tsp) to taste

2 Tbsp Butter (plus 1 Tbsp cooking oil to prevent burning) or 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1 red onion cut in half and sliced

Handful fresh coriander and flat leaf parsley leaves roughly chopped
1 Tbsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
A sprinkling of toasted desiccated coconut (optional)

EQUIPMENT

1 Heavy based frying pan for onions
1 Casserole pot for 'rice'
1 Spice Grinder or a breadboard and heavy pan to crush seeds

METHOD

Gently fry onion half moons in some coconut oil/butter on low heat until caramelized - if you are patient and caring, this could take about 10 - 15 minutes. Be careful not to burn or it will go bitter.



Meanwhile, in a large casserole pot melt butter or coconut oil, place ginger, garlic and spices into pan and stir until spices release their oils and become fragrant, about a minute.
Add your coconut milk, liquid stock or boiling water and mix (In this recipe I used stock, as I needed my coconut milk for the Butter Chicken recipe - but it is equally good)

Pour in cauliflower and mix until every ‘grain’ is covered in a lovely yellow hue. Don’t forget your seasoning.
Put the lid on and allow to steam gently for about 5 min. Do not overcook as it could go soggy.


Turn off the heat, add in caramelized onions and fluff up ‘grains’ with a fork.

Garnish with as much coriander, parsley and extra chilli flakes (if using) as you like, and serve proudly alongside any curry dish, or eat on its own, it's that good!



P.S Now do yourself a favour... Keep some for tomorrow morning (if you can bare it?)and reheat in a pan (or nuke for a minute in the microwave) and top with a soft fried egg, a big knob of butter and more chilli flakes! HOLY MOLY it is a thing of beauty!

P.P.S *Butter Chicken Recipe to follow… as soon as I can remember how I actually made it!

Now Go! Eat!

Much Love and Gratitude and Happy Nibbling, Durban Style! 

xox

Comments

Yummy, my gluten free tummy is growling now. I am off to share this, thanks!
Unknown said…
Thanks Brandi, enjoy!
Much love and happy nibbling
xox

Popular posts from this blog

Yes, I put butter (and EGG) in my coffee... Milk is SO last season!

  Hot Buttery Egg Coffee Gasp! Horror! Now just let it sink in…and stop pulling that face…I know it sounds weird and even ‘eeeuuww’ but trust me, if you like custard, ice-cream, eggnog etc then you can like my Hot Buttery Egg Coffee - it’s the same principal. The egg is 'cooked' in the boiling water. And the fat from the egg and butter (you could add coconut oil as well, or instead of) satiates you for hours. I’ve even gone as far as putting in two eggs when I know I’m only getting to eat again by late afternoon. You can also add cream or milk if you can tolerate it but, really, it doesn’t need it. The egg and butter emulsify so beautifully you have a creamy latte in a matter of seconds. In fact, I wont drink coffee now any other way! It first caught my eye on this super blog here  and then I really sat up and took notice after reading about it here  aswell. It’s actually not that unheard of in the sugar free world (also known as Low Carb) that I've

Home Made BAKING POWDER: Aluminum/Starch/Gluten/Grain/GMO Free.

Home Made Baking Powder Aluminum Free. Starch Free. GMO Free. Gluten Free. Today you get to play like a chemist and ‘make’ your own stash of home made BAKING POWDER! Ta daa… What is it, really? Baking powder is a leavening (raising) agent used in most baked goods. It lightens the texture and increases the volume in our cakes, muffins and even bread by releasing carbon dioxide bubbles into the wet batter. Its all very science, chemistry wot-not… yet totally necessary if you want your cupcakes light and fluffy. Why make your own? Why, you ask? Well here’s what in the shop-bought stuff… Commercially produced baking powder contains aluminum, yes #gaspshockhorror, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate or Sodium Aluminum Phosphate. This stuff has b een linked with the development of Alzheimer’s Disease and has no place being in my bon bons. It can also leave a slight metallic aftertaste in cakes with a delicate flavour (how lovely?). It can also contain gene

The Portable Frittata!

It’s like an omlette… It’s like a quiche… It looks like a muffin…but it’s a frittata?   Gluten+Grain+Sugar Free + Low Carb.    I keep getting asked about sugar-free breakfasts for those who work at an office, or who don’t have the time to prepare and eat a cooked breakfast, before rushing to sit in traffic (crazy humans we are?).  So here I am, giving you options (don’t say I don’t do things for you)... you can pimp your morning cuppa java into a HOT BUTTERY EGG COFFEE , or you could whip up a batch of BLUEBERRY BREAKFAST BOMBES ...  and now I bring you the Portable Frittata !  Sounds interesting, doesn’t it? This is not really an original recipe, more of a redo, taking yesterday's most delicious  CARAMELISED OMLETTE and making it lunchbox (and kiddie) friendly.  I urge you to feel free and experiment with ingredients and ratios. This is not baking, this is more like throwing caution (and ingredients) to the wind and letting your inner goddess/rebel