Skip to main content

Beautiful Birthday Cupcakes in Vanilla and Chocolate (Gluten+Grain+Sugar Free)


Grain + Gluten + Sugar Free with Dairy Free cake option.

You’ve pestered and pestered (and yes, I reveled in the suspense) but now, my eager friends, it’s time... Time to put you out of your misery, and introduce pure delight. Delightful deliciousness and delectable decadence in every bite.



I bring you my Best in Show: My Two’s Birthday Cupcakes with creamy butter cream frosting (in Vanilla and, of course, a chocolate version when you absolutely just have to).


I have made these now on three separate occasions, all within this month (yes, I really liked these and found any excuse to retest the recipe) and each time Ive tried something different - actually the last time I accidentally doubled the liquid quantity, then had to throw in some more ‘flour’ and held thumbs - and guess what? They came out great! - A very forgiving recipe - just how I like it!


My inspiration came from THIS recipe, although I have used a different (favourite) icing. I wanted a batch of cupcakes that didn’t require buckets of almond flour. This one uses coconut flour alone. It’s more cost effective as a little goes a very long way, and coconut flour is lighter and softer, perfect for cakes and other soft baked nibbles.

About the Recipe:

Moist, slightly dense, insanely fulfilling and not too sweet. The frosting is by nature sweet (Xylitol) so you get to control how much frosting you want on your cake. I use a generous amount when serving non-lowcarbers as they generally have a sweeter tooth. Taste as you go, you decide.



INGREDIENTS
  • ½ Cup Cream, or Coconut Cream, or Whole Milk (according to your tolerance)
  • ½ Cup Butter, or Coconut Oil
  • 2 tsp Vanilla Extract, or seeds scraped from one vanilla bean
  • ½ tsp Stevia Liquid


  • 7 Eggs, Large


  • 1 Cup + 1 Tbsp Coconut Flour
  • ¾ Cup Xylitol (or bulk sugar subst. according to your tolerance)
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • ½ tsp ground Himalayan Salt
  • For Chocolate Cupcake: 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Cocoa Powder PLUS 1 tsp instant coffee granules

EQUIPMENT

I Stick/Immersion Blender, or egg beaters, or even a whisk will work

METHOD


  • Preheat your oven to 160 degrees Celsius
  • Line your muffin tray with 12 pretty cupcake paper cases

(You can stretch this recipe to about 16 cakes by making them slightly smaller and baking them for about 5 minutes less)

  • Pour all the liquid ingredients into a large jug.
  • Mix lightly with a whisk until butter or oil is melted.
  • Add your eggs to your large jug and mix (I use my stick blender and pulse once or twice)
  • In a large bowl sift all the dry ingredients together to ensure no lumps.
  • Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients bowl and using your stick blender, or whisk, mix until batter is completely incorporated and lump free.


If you find your batter it too dry, you can add some warm water to loosen slightly.

Scoop 1½ to 2 ice-cream scoops of batter into each paper casing (depending on how many you want - my kids cant finish a whole one when using a double scoop so I now make smaller ones for them, and beeeg ones for me! - just remember to adjust the cooking times accordingly). Flatten slightly with the back of a spoon.


Double Scoop

Flattened with the back of a spoon

Bang into the oven for approx 25 minutes. Test with a skewer (or tooth pick), if it comes out clean and the tops are nicely done, you’re ready to go.











I leave them to cool in the pan; they are too soft to handle hot.



ICING ON THE CAKE



  • 60ml Butter, softened to room temp (but not melted)
  • 227g Cream Cheese, full fat, softened to room temp
  • ¾ C Xylitol, whizzed finely in your coffee grinder (like castor sugar)
  • ¼ tsp Stevia liquid
  • Dash of your best vanilla



Chocolate frosting option, add the following:


  • 1 Tbsp heaped Cocoa Powder (or more according to taste)
  • 50g Dark Chocolate 85% cocoa solids
  • 2 Tbsp Peanut Butter (optional - but delicious, adds a salted caramel flavour)




For a Dairy Free Icing: Pipe some of my delicious Coconut Cream Mousse as an amazing alternative (in fact, next time I'm doing that - its easier and quicker!)
  • Whip or beat your softened butter and cream cheese, vanilla and Stevia together until light and fluffy.
  • Add fine sugar in two or three batches, whipping each time, until incorporated.
  • Taste - try not to eat the whole bowl with a spoon.



For chocolate version: 


  • Melt chocolate and peanut butter gently in bowl in microwave in 20 second increments, stirring after each increment.
  • Add cocoa to melted chocolate and stir gently.
  • Add the chocolate mixture to the cream cheese and mix until incorporated.
  • Taste again… it’s divine, I know!




  • Place whipped mixture into a piping bag with a large star nozzle and pipe your lovely mixture onto your cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with sprinkles to match your colour theme.

You can now feel very accomplished and proud of yourself…and your kids will love you forever (or, at least until the cupcakes run out!)


Comments

Bianca said…
I absolutely love you! Thank you, they are devine!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Yes, I put butter (and EGG) in my coffee... Milk is SO last season!

  Hot Buttery Egg Coffee Gasp! Horror! Now just let it sink in…and stop pulling that face…I know it sounds weird and even ‘eeeuuww’ but trust me, if you like custard, ice-cream, eggnog etc then you can like my Hot Buttery Egg Coffee - it’s the same principal. The egg is 'cooked' in the boiling water. And the fat from the egg and butter (you could add coconut oil as well, or instead of) satiates you for hours. I’ve even gone as far as putting in two eggs when I know I’m only getting to eat again by late afternoon. You can also add cream or milk if you can tolerate it but, really, it doesn’t need it. The egg and butter emulsify so beautifully you have a creamy latte in a matter of seconds. In fact, I wont drink coffee now any other way! It first caught my eye on this super blog here  and then I really sat up and took notice after reading about it here  aswell. It’s actually not that unheard of in the sugar free world (also known as Low Carb) that I've

The Portable Frittata!

It’s like an omlette… It’s like a quiche… It looks like a muffin…but it’s a frittata?   Gluten+Grain+Sugar Free + Low Carb.    I keep getting asked about sugar-free breakfasts for those who work at an office, or who don’t have the time to prepare and eat a cooked breakfast, before rushing to sit in traffic (crazy humans we are?).  So here I am, giving you options (don’t say I don’t do things for you)... you can pimp your morning cuppa java into a HOT BUTTERY EGG COFFEE , or you could whip up a batch of BLUEBERRY BREAKFAST BOMBES ...  and now I bring you the Portable Frittata !  Sounds interesting, doesn’t it? This is not really an original recipe, more of a redo, taking yesterday's most delicious  CARAMELISED OMLETTE and making it lunchbox (and kiddie) friendly.  I urge you to feel free and experiment with ingredients and ratios. This is not baking, this is more like throwing caution (and ingredients) to the wind and letting your inner goddess/rebel

Blueberry Bombe for Breakfast - cooked in a Cup - in 60 seconds!

It’s a Muffin - in a Cup - in 60 seconds!   Gluten+Grain+Dairy+Sugar Free and Low Carb, of course! You gotta make this…it’s a   no-grainer ! Here is another itty bitty cake made for two, in the microwave, in just 60 seconds. I did not cut this one in half and share it, but if I were making this for a tea time snack, I might have shown more restraint and portioned it in two. This recipe is an easy adaptation of my NUTTY CHOC-CHIP CAPPUCINO MUFFIN  except this time I wanted to use up some left over blueberries. So I kept the nuts and added the blueberries and some lemon zest. So refreshing and very moist - just what a girl needs with her morning tea. I mean, how awesome that I get to have cake for breakfast, and call it healthy? [Blueberries make it healthy, don’t they? And almonds? Of course!] Best of all its super filling, and without the sugar rush-crash-craziness. You can choose your own nut combination, I love nuts so I add a lot, mixe